History

Once the residence of the Lords of Nevele, and owned by the Dukes of Montmorency - including the renowned Philippe - Count Hoorn, Ooidonk was the setting for a great many battles fought amidst the fray of social upheaval and the religious wars of the 16th century. Twice ravaged and destroyed, it was rebuilt by worthy Antwerp resident Martin della Faille, who redesigned the castle in line with the tastes and the spirit of the Renaissance, turning it into a residential estate. In 1864, the castle and the surrounding land were purchased by Senator Henri t’Kint de Roodenbeke – the future President of the Senate (1892-1899) and Minister of State - and his spouse, Zoé de Naeyer.

In spite of the renovations and restorations over the centuries, Ooidonk has continued to be considered as a shining landmark, today standing as the very incarnation of the flamboyant Renaissance style. Nowadays, 150 years after their ancestors, Ooidonk Castle is home to the 6th Count and Countess t’Kint de Roodenbeke and their 3 children. They have turned this marvellous paragon of historical heritage into a living and breathing homestead filled with the joys of family life, passionately ensuring the upkeep of the property, just like Count (Juan) t’Kint de Roodenbeke before them. Everything is done to ensure that everybody – hosts and visitors alike – keep alive the memory of a site that is made all the more beautiful by the surrounding water features, its deep moat and the gentle bends of the nearby river Leie.

view gallery